The 2022-23 application has closed and the 2023-24 will open February 15, 2023.
The Association for Gerontology Education in Social Work (AGESW), with support from the Gerontological Society of America (GSA), will begin accepting applications for its Pre-Dissertation Fellows Program on February 15, 2023. The application deadline is June 1, 2023.
An applicant must at the time of application be:
- enrolled full-time in a U.S. social work/social welfare PhD only program
- in the first or second year of their PhD program
- a graduate of a Master of Social Work Program
Program Training & Financial Benefits
Professional Development Training
- Full-day pre-conference training at 2022 Gerontological Society of America (GSA) Annual Scientific Meeting
- Daily one-hour trainings throughout the 2022 GSA Conference
- Nationally recognized faculty experts in Gerontological Social Work will provide training focused on navigating the dissertation process; working with quantitative and qualitative methods; writing for publication; teaching strategies; and effective networking
- Professional development webinar held in the spring of 2023
- Ongoing mentoring from a member of the AGESW organization
- $1,200 stipend to attend AGESW Pre-Dissertation Fellows Training at 2022 GSA meeting
- One-year memberships to AGESW and GSA organizations
- Registration for the 2022 GSA Conference
- Applicant Information and Curriculum Vita
- Personal statement that is two pages in length, single-spaced, with one-inch margins. Your statement should fully address the following:
- How your professional and personal experiences inform your desire to work as a scholar in the field of gerontological social work.
- What your professional goals are for working as a scholar in the field of gerontological social work. Please include a discussion of your research interests.
- A letter of support from an institutional faculty sponsor indicating: 1) the applicant’s match to the Program’s goal of preparing PhD students for academia; and 2) the applicant’s capacity to develop into a competitive candidate for an academic career
- A letter from applicant’s program director confirming $600 institutional support for attending the 2022 GSA Conference
Applications can be submitted online using the button below.